Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Funeral Doom

Classes have started. This semester's line-up:

Poetry of the Environment- dope. We are reading good poets and the teacher has a great reading voice.
Exploring the Solar System- decent. I can't figure out whether or not the professor (Karl Wirth) is gay, but he seems to be excited about the material which is a good thing. I feel confident about the class due to my astronomy class last semester. I just hope that it's interesting and not entirely about the sedimentary composition of Ganymede or something like that. Ganymede is the shit though, that planet has water volcanoes all over the place.
Crafts of Writing Poetry- awesome. I wasn't sure I would get into it but Ping Wang/Wang Ping, whatever her name is, liked my writing samples and let me in. She seems brisk but really in the know. I think I will get a lot out of it.
Intro to Sociology- great. The professor is rad and it doesn't seem like it will be especially brutal workload-wise, plus the material is interesting.

Word! In addition, I am actually going to get involved in Mac Jewish Organization, Swing Club (I went last night and it was really fun), hopefully getting a radio show with Max, men's choir and maybe Mac Singers, getting a band together with Bassam, and who knows what else. I still would like a social life. Max, Mikey, Dan and I are also beginning Foodquest, the journey for good food in the Twin Cities, this weekend. Yeah.

Still kind of enjoying sitting around in my room listening to black metal though. My recommendation today is Nortt.

Both grim and frostbitten. Reclusive Danish composer of funeral doom, with some dark classical influences. Brooding music. I love this shit. Mournful Monuments is a collection of his first few releases, all of it is top notch. Download it here. The password is "thetruewarmongers". Enjoy it in a cocoon of your own hatred.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ben,

I like Ganymede, but you have to admit that Europa is *the* shit.

--Sarah