Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Skate Videos Are Pretty Cool

Youtube is the most valuable time-wasting instrument that god has given to man. I don't even think that video games can beat it in terms of sheer quantity of stuff and subjects covered. I don't even need to get into this. You know it already it. And the thing is, Youtube has something for everyone: sports clips, presidential campaign coverage, movie trailers and footage, on and on ad infinitum. And everybody has their preference.

When I waste time on Youtube, I do it by watching skate (aggressive inline, what a shit term) videos. It's quick and accessible. Tonight before dinner I was online and I watched an edit made by a skate videographer from the northeast United States- Chris Majette- of northeastern skaters, and then another one by a southeastern videographer- Jamie Olmstead- of southeastern skaters. It came to me that the two editing styles, and even the skating itself, were drastically different. I have full videos (actual ones, not just Youtube) that both of them have made, but I guess it took watching distinct edits back-to-back to show me it.

It basically comes down to this: the northeast is hectic as all hell, and the southeast is relaxed. In the northeast edit (check it out here) Majette uses a post-hardcore song, rapid shot transitions with no effects, and crops the individual clips to begin only a split second before or right as the trick occurs, with little after the landing. It gives the edit a frantic pace. In the southeast, however, Olmstead slows everything down by the exact opposite; the song is gentler, he uses transition effects, and shows lots of run-up and landing. I would love to credit this to the stereotype of people being nice and slow in the south, while northeasterners are harried and mean, and I just might. Regardless, they are both enjoyable.

I am getting sleepy so I will cut this post off here. In the meantime, download the new demo by my funeral doom solo project, Oppen GrĂ¥v. The link is here. Enjoy, and more info about it will be posted tomorrow.

No comments: